It’s a whole new year, and APP-NW members are ready to take 2014 by storm!
Northwest performers gathered at SE Portland’s Bar Maven on Monday, January 20 to share a drink and a smile with their fellow actors at APP-NW’s #ActorsHappyHour, and to discuss their goals for the coming year. Among the goals we heard from assembled performers were
- Staying active by finding and taking new classes
- Working in markets beyond the Portland area
- Signing with an agent
- Strengthening Oregon’s film incentive program by talking to officials running for election
- Standing up for fellow performers by encouraging producers to offer SAG-AFTRA contracts
- Broadening professional and personal networks
Monday’s conversation didn’t just focus on individual performers goals, though – the assembled actors also discussed methods to achieve those goals. A goal, after all, isn’t the same as a resolution. A resolution is an idea (“This year I’m going to lose weight/ stop smoking/ exercise more”) while a goal is a specific target with measurable steps the goal-setter can take to achieve that target. Everyone has their own goals, but the actors at Bar Maven agreed that there were certain steps to be taken to make those goals reality:
- Checking what’s been accomplished in the previous year and setting a goal for this year to surpass that
- “Checking in” on a goal throughout the year to see how much progress is being made
- Adjusting a goal, if necessary, to accommodate unseen factors
- “Focusing on the win” – even if a specific goal isn’t achieved, celebrating what has been achieved and setting another goal to surpass that
That last point brought December’s #ActorsHappyHour to mind, when we asked Northwest Performers to celebrate their successes with us. Everyone has their own definition of “success” – as most professional performers have learned, allowing other people to define success for us is a trap that can lead to madness and despair. Following through on specific goals (or focusing on the successes that have come from following those goals) allows a performer to see just how successful s/he has been… and we’re really looking forward to hearing how successful YOU’VE been when we have another celebration of your success in December of this year!
After this stimulating and productive conversation it was time to conduct APP-NW’s monthly raffle – and just look at what some of the evening’s attendees walked away with:
#ActorsHappyHour is presented on the Third Monday of Every Month, but next month will be a little different… rather than holding our standard Happy Hour event APP-NW is inviting you to its Annual Meeting, where you’ll have the chance to hear about the movement’s progress, have your questions answered, and learn the results of our Board of Directors elections! More information on that event is coming soon, but mark February 17, 2014 from 6-8 on your calendar and make plans to join us! Don’t worry, though – Bar Maven will still be open after the annual meeting!